Applying for the Federal Skilled Trades Program

The Federal Skilled Trades Program is a Canadian immigration program that allows skilled workers to apply for permanent residence in Canada. To be eligible, you must have at least 2 years of full-time work experience in a skilled trade within the past 5 years, a valid job offer of at least 1 year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade. Skilled trades are organized under certain groups of the National Occupational Classification (NOC), including technical trades and transportation officers, general trades, supervisors in natural resources and related production, occupations in natural resources and related production, processing and manufacturing supervisors, central control and process operators, and chefs. There is no education requirement for this program, but having a Canadian certificate, diploma or degree or an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report for foreign education can improve your ranking in the Express Entry pool. You must also meet certain language requirements and be admissible to Canada. You must plan to live outside of the province of Quebec, as Quebec has its own skilled worker selection program. If you are successful, you will receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence.

Back to blog

Leave a comment